This is a Katapult fork based on the KDE SVN repository. It fixes several outstanding issues of upstream Katapult. Unfortunately, Katapult development stagnated and no progress has been made upstream for half a year. I recently got a response from the project manager of katapult. If you don't think I should hand the changes over upstream, send me a suggestion for a name or else we'll see what we can do to incorporate my changes back into the original katapult.
Improvements over last stable Katapult release:
* Support for multiple results (Press up or down keys to see more results)
* Support for multiple actions (Press left or right keys to see more actions)
* Adaptive search
* Threaded architecture
* Non-blocking DCOP calls
Kudos to the team for providing the framework for multiple results, multiple actions, and multithreaded catalogs.
* Currently, only the program and bookmark catalogs actually return more than one result at a time.
* Only the program catalog supports adaptive search.
* Only the amarok catalog has multiple actions.
What this means for YOU:
* The amarok catalog should not slow down Katapult if you have a big collection of songs.
* The amarok catalog can now queue songs and add songs to the current playlist
* The program catalog will adapt to your launching preferences (i.e. no more "Konquest" results when all you want is "Konqueror")
* You no longer have to type more letters (press the down key to choose something else)
What is still lacking:
* Testing. Especially for the amarok catalog. I only have a couple of GB worth of songs so I can't speak for everyone but this should be an improvement over the last release.
* Spell catalog. I've tried everything to get KSpell to play nice with separate threads (i.e. call KSpell in the main thread, block the worker thread till KSpell is done, then pass the result to the worker thread) but it just won't work.
* Localization. I need translations. You could of course just ./configure the katapult-0.3.2 sources and make install inside only the po directory.
Read the INSTALL file included. For the impatient, it is now CMake based. So either create a build directory or run
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR -DREALTRANSPARENCY=1 .
within the source directory.
To avoid crashes due to missing display plug-ins or catalogs, make sure the prefix you use is the same as kde-config --prefix or kde3-config --prefix (not sure about that though) for Kubuntu users.
The command should look something like cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DREALTRANSPARENCY=1 .
using backticks (i.e. `kde-config --prefix`) instead of $KDEDIR might do the trick.
Then make and install as root.
Simply remove the -DREALTRANSPARENCY=1 switch to disable composite support.
Run a compositing window manager such as compiz before launching katapult-fast track. If you switch from KWin to compiz/beryl while Katapult-Fast Track is running, you have to restart Katapult-Fast Track for real transparency to work. Likewise, shifting to KWin from compiz/beryl requires restarting the program.
Amarok must be running first.
Google and exec catalogs:
Type the keyword (either "google" or "exec" without the quotation marks using the defaults) before entering your query.
For any problems, either leave something here or post something at the Katapult forums. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Please include how to reproduce your problems.